Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Three five-star reads in a row!

For some time, I've been rating the books I read on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.  For me, a five-star read is good enough I'd read it again (or more likely, listen to it).  IIt's the kind of book where you are sad it's over, where you feel like you'll miss the characters. There aren't many books that fall into that category, but in the past two weeks, I read three books in a row that I rated five stars! 


I absolutely fell in love with Flavia de Luce, the protagonist of Alan Bradley's The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.  At age 11, Flavia is fascinated with chemistry and has her own (very advanced) chemistry lab in the English manor house where she lives with her father and two older sisters.  I found Flavia's desire and ability to solve mysteries endearing.  I can't wait to read the next book in the series.


Next, I read The Broken Circle, which was one of my free books from Amazon Prime for the month of February.  Enjeela Ahmadi-Miller details her life in Kabul, Afghanistan during the mid-1970s - a life of happiness, joy, and riches as well as her family's flight to India following the invasion by the USSR in 1979.  Simultaneously fascinating and heartbreaking.  This book grabbed my interest because there was a boy in my 6th grade class whose family had escaped from Afghanistan in this same time period. 


Finally, I was thrilled to return to the world of Dr. Mary Sutter, protagonist of one of my all-time favorite books My Name is Mary Sutter.  While this wasn't quite as good as the first book with the Civil War as the setting, I loved spending time with Mary once again. 

What are your recent five-star reads?


No comments:

Post a Comment