Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd - This book should have made my top 10 list. I love Sue Monk Kidd's writing - particularly The Secret Lives of Bees which I listened to in my car again after reading The Invention of Wings. Based on the history of abolitionist Sarah Grimke, the book follows Sarah and Handful, a slave from Sarah's parents' home.
Brillance by Marcus Sakey - Imagine a world where 1% of the population carries a gene for true brillance. What happens when the other 99% decides to rebel?
The All-Girl Filling Station by Fannie Flagg - Fritzi runs her family filling station during WWII with her sisters and then takes on even more daring adventures as she learns to fly a plane.
Outcasts by Kathleen Kent - A taut, thrilling adventure story about buried treasure, a manhunt, and a woman determined to make a new life for herself in the old west (taken from Amazon's review)
TimeBound by Rysa Walker - Kate's grandmother gives her a blue medallion that allows her to travel in time. Kate must go back to the Chicago Exposition of 1893 to prevent a murder.
The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana Trigiani. I love all of her books. This is the third book in her Valentine series. My favorite of her books is Lucia, Lucia.
The Target by David Baldacci - featuring his protagonists Will Robie and Jessica Reel. Fast moving - I couldn't put it down.
Letters from Home by Kristina McMorris - In 1944, Liz attends a USO dance and meets soldier Morgan McClain. Liz's roommate, Betty, agrees to write to Morgan while he is overseas, but she asks Liz to ghostwrite for her. I truly loved this book.
Cop Town by Karin Slaughter - Her book Criminal is one of the best crime books I've read - ever. I love her characters.
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty - While I liked Big Little Lies best, I also really liked this one where Alice falls from a stationary bicycle and loses 10 years of her memory. Will she fall in love with her husband, whom she was divorcing, again?
One for the Murphys by Lynda Hunt - young adult fiction about a girl named Carley who is in foster care. We are reading this one for CASA book club.
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - more young adult fiction that should be read by all. A summer mystery on the private island of the uber-rich Sinclair family.
My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni - seriously good mystery.
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate - This book won the Newbery medal in 2013 for outstanding children's literature. Told from the perspective of a captive gorilla named Ivan.