Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 runners up

Last night, I kept thinking about the books I enjoyed this past year but didn't make it on my top 10 list.  Here's a second list of my "runner's up."  

Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd - This book should have made my top 10 list.  I love Sue Monk Kidd's writing - particularly The Secret Lives of Bees which I listened to in my car again after reading The Invention of Wings.  Based on the history of abolitionist Sarah Grimke, the book follows Sarah and Handful, a slave from Sarah's parents' home. 

Brillance by Marcus Sakey - Imagine a world where 1% of the population carries a gene for true brillance.  What happens when the other 99% decides to rebel?

The All-Girl Filling Station by Fannie Flagg - Fritzi runs her family filling station during WWII with her sisters and then takes on even more daring adventures as she learns to fly a plane.

Outcasts by Kathleen Kent - A taut, thrilling adventure story about buried treasure, a manhunt, and a woman determined to make a new life for herself in the old west (taken from Amazon's review)

TimeBound by Rysa Walker - Kate's grandmother gives her a blue medallion that allows her to travel in time.  Kate must go back to the Chicago Exposition of 1893 to prevent a murder.

The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana Trigiani.  I love all of her books.  This is the third book in her Valentine series.  My favorite of her books is Lucia, Lucia.

The Target by David Baldacci - featuring his protagonists Will Robie and Jessica Reel.  Fast moving - I couldn't put it down.

Letters from Home by Kristina McMorris - In 1944, Liz attends a USO dance and meets soldier Morgan McClain. Liz's roommate, Betty, agrees to write to Morgan while he is overseas, but she asks Liz to ghostwrite for her.  I truly loved this book.

Cop Town by Karin Slaughter - Her book Criminal is one of the best crime books I've read - ever.  I love her characters.

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty - While I liked Big Little Lies best, I also really liked this one where Alice falls from a stationary bicycle and loses 10 years of her memory.  Will she fall in love with her husband, whom she was divorcing, again?

One for the Murphys by Lynda Hunt - young adult fiction about a girl named Carley who is in foster care.  We are reading this one for CASA book club.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - more young adult fiction that should be read by all.  A summer mystery on the private island of the uber-rich Sinclair family.

My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni - seriously good mystery.

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate - This book won the Newbery medal in 2013 for outstanding children's literature.  Told from the perspective of a captive gorilla named Ivan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment